How to create a virtual extension
A Virtual Extension (VE) is a user extension without an assigned DigitalLine. The VE can be created by Administrators on the RingCentral Online account. It becomes an active user extension (and charged the full price for a DigitalLine) if it makes/receives 10 or more calls per month (billing cycle). Converting a Virtual Extension to a DigitalLine allows organizations to get full access to RingCentral Phone or a desk phone for a similar price as an active extension.
NOTE: Virtual extensions provide great benefit for users who just need access to the RingCentral Online account for Administrator, Meetings or RingCentral App (Glip).
1. Log in to the RingCentral Online account.
2. Go to Admin Portal > Users > User list > Users With Extensions.
3. Click Add User.
4. Select Domestic, then click Next.
5. Click the Add Users Without Phones tab, then enter the number of (virtual) users. Leave the State (optional) and Area code (optional) blank.
6. Click Add, then click Next.
If Cost Center is enabled on the RingCentral Online account: select the Cost Center Code, then select the device. Click Next.
NOTE: The total estimated price for this should be $0.00.
7. Click OK on the Alert window.
8. Go to Admin Portal > Users > User list > Unassigned Extensions, then click Ext with no device assigned.
9. Enter the necessary information (The First Name, Last Name, Extension Number, and Email Address.are required). You may also assign the appropriate role.
10. For Set Up Options, select if you want the user to set up their own login and password information, or if you prefer to set it up for the user.
If you selected Set up by the user, ask the user to check the activation email and follow the instructions in order to activate the virtual extension.
11. Click Save & Enable.
Billing - Get the Usage Details of Mobile Users without a DigitalLine
Mobile Users - How to manage mobile users